15 July 2011

Letter from Matlock – 5 July 2011



Dear (Family in Japanese Characters),
            So I think my most prized possession right now is a half-eaten box of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.
            We had transfers!  And I am the lone man standing in Tokorozawa.  Our count went down from 4 to 2; which is good because now we fit in our futon room.  I don’t have to worry about kicking someone in the head, or playing footsies with someone else, or snuggling with any one left over; plenty of space and peaceful rest at last.  My new companion is from the Cahoon clan!  That’s right, I’m with a fellow scot!  At last someone who understands that kilts are the garb of men, and that music isn’t music if it doesn’t come from the pipes!  I think this will be a good transfer.
            Right before transfers however another Elder and I went to a bible group.  This church turned out to be Pentecostal.  It was an interesting experience to say the least.   They started off with a prayer and I wasn’t sure if the pastor was praying to God or trying to summon him.  Then we sang hymns…maybe I wouldn’t go so far as to call them hymns – more like campfire songs.  Pastor was jamming out on his acoustic and everyone was singing along and shouting “Hallelujah! Amen”.  It was so much fun!  Then he kicked off his sermon.  He was supposed to be teaching from the bible but I was afraid we were going to get a bible thrown at us!  It was interesting.  I thought it was a good experience.  Check out the other churches…see what we’re up against…ha ha just kidding.  It was a reaching out and educational experience.  Yadda, yadda.
            In other news I spaced out while riding my bike, clipped a pole and flew over my handle bars.  I was perfectly fine aside from being embarrassed for running into a bar.  Wait, I probably should have thought of a good “walking into a bar” joke.  Once you walk into too many bars it’s hard to think on your feet.
            I noticed something interesting in Sunday School; Ether 12:27 talks about overcoming weaknesses.  Take two steps back – the first thing in that verse – it says if men come unto me (Christ) I will show unto them their weaknesses.  I really felt like I understood -  that verse really hit me.  Before I came on my mission I had no idea what my weaknesses were.  What I consider my weaknesses now I thought were strengths before I came to Japan.  I had no idea who I was.  Now I have a little better idea, and the second part of the promise is hopefully quickly coming into effect. – for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
Gospels true!
Love you all,
(Elder Wyman in Japanese Characters)
Elder Wyman

No comments:

Post a Comment