01 May 2011

Letter from Matlock – 30 April 2011



Dear (Family in Japanese characters),                                     25 April 2011
 We went to our new investigator’s house for lunch and she kept talking to my Japanese companion like he understood English.  She is the lady from Africa (specifically Nigeria) that we met our first week here.  She’s married to a Japanese person and if you’re wondering how that worked out, so am I.  At least I was.  So he moved to Africa and lived there for 25 years while he learned Swahili, an African language, and English.  So because of his parent’s failing health he’s come back to Japan to look out for them.  Interesting right?  So she is Christian down to her bones and the husband is Christian also.  Unless he’s with his mother, then he’s Shinto.  So in other words…who knows?  It was so funny.  I would at times translate for my Japanese companion who would then laugh even harder.  Despite not being able to understand, it was still amusing him!  We watched some conference with her then she showed us clips of the astounding poverty in Africa.  People are just living in slums fighting for survival every day.  There’s not a whole lot I can do for them but that definitely gave me some more perspective on things!
On that note…
Love you all,
(Elder Wyman in Japanese characters)

No comments:

Post a Comment